Make ahead dishes are a great help for busy cooks. If you haven’t tried this crispy, colourful and healthy salad yet, you are definitely in for a treat – the veggies actually do stay nice and crunchy thanks to the dressing layer which seals them, plus the chicken layer makes it a complete, filling meal. And it looks amazing! Check out the other variations we’ve developed to give you plenty of options.
Make Ahead Crunchy Layered Salad
1. Prepare salad ingredients
• 1 whole iceberg lettuce, shredded (or equivalent greens)
• 1 bunch green onion sliced (or red onion)
• 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
• ½ each red and green capsicum, chopped
• 2 250g packs Mt Barker Fully cooked and carved chicken breast
• 2 stalks celery, sliced
• 1 package frozen peas -NOT thawed (or peas and corn mixed)
2.Layer the above ingredients in a large glass bowl in the order listed
3.Mix all dressing ingredients together and spread evenly over the top salad layer right to the edge of the bowl
• 2 cups mayonnaise,
• 2 tsp sugar
• ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1 tsp salt
• ¼ tsp garlic powder
4. Top the salad by sprinkling the bacon and egg over the dressing layer
• 4 rashers bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
• 3 hard cooked eggs, chopped
• 2 tomatoes (cut in wedges and arranged just before serving (or use grape tomatoes etc)
Cover and chill in fridge for 4-24 hours before serving. Instead of using the impressive large bowl, individual layered salads can also be prepared in wide mouth jars to take to work, picnics etc.
Rainbow Vegetable Salad with Chicken and Kale
• 320g Quinoa (cooked as per package instructions)
• 2 whole Beetroot raw cut into strips
• 2 Large Red capsicum cut into strips
• 1 PKT of Mount Barker Ready to Eat Shredded Chicken
• 3 medium carrots cut into strips
• 2 bunches of Kale washed and shredded
• ¼ red cabbage (optional)
• 1 bunch fresh Coriander leaves chopped
• 1 heap tsp Garlic Powder
• 50ml fresh Lime Juice
• 1/3 cup Honey
• 1 heap tsp Cumin
• 500g Greek Yoghurt
• Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- Prepare fresh ingredients (a Mandolin works well for slicing ingredient’s) then layer each ingredient in 6 individual jar`s or one large glass bowl starting with the Quinoa, Beetroot, Capsicum, Shredded chicken, Carrot, Cabbage and the Kale.
- If using a larger bowel, pour dressing over top of salad before serving, or if preparing in mason jar`s pour dressing over quinoa.
Chicken Pasta and Green Veggie Salad
• 500g Dried Pasta Shells Cooked
• 500g Baby Spinach Leaves
• 500g Mount Barker RTE Diced chicken
• 1 head Broccoli florets Lightly Steamed
• 1 large Red Onion finely sliced
• 150g Broad Beans
• 200g Bacon diced and cooked
• 1 punnet cherry tomatoes (Optional for added colour)
• 4 Avocadoes
• 200g Mayonnaise reduced fat
• 200g Sour cream light
• 1 tbs Garlic
• ¼ cup Lime Juice
• 1 small bunch (35g) Parsley chopped
• Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend dressing ingredients until smooth (use food processor, blender or mixer). Set aside.
- Assemble salad in a large bowl as per the order of ingredient list and top with avocado dressing, bacon and cherry tomatoes (optional).
Mexican salad with Peri Peri Chicken
• 1 large Cos Lettuce chopped
• 1 large Red Onion diced
• 1 Cucumber diced
• 1 punnet Cherry tomato halved (optional)
• 1 can Corn Drained
• 1 tin (400) Black Beans drained
• 2 Avocado Diced
• 500g Mount Barker Peri Peri chicken
• 180g Tortilla chips
• Sour Cream 200g
• Low fat Mayonnaise 200g
• lime juice fresh 2 each
• tabasco¼ tsp
• salt and pepper
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge.
- Prepare salad ingredients and layer them in a glass bowl in order of ingredient list, top with dressing and serve with tortilla chips.
Layered Chicken salad with a Garlic Herb Dressing
• 1 large iceberg Shredded
• 3 Large Tomato diced
• 1 large Cucumber large diced
• 500g Frozen Peas
• 2 packets Mount barker RTE Chicken carved
• 250g Bacon cooked and chopped
• 220g cheese shredded
• 1 cup Low fat Mayonnaise
• 1 cup Sour cream
• 1 Tbs Fresh Parsley chopped
• ½ Tbs Dill chopped
• 1 tsp Garlic minced
• Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for later.
- Prepare salad ingredients and start to layer in a glass bowl in order of ingredients list.
- Now take the prepared dressing from the fridge and place on top of the lettuce smooth out and top with cooled cooked bacon and shredded cheese.
Lemon Pepper Rice Salad with a Tangy Coconut Dressing
• 400g White Long Grain Rice
• 500g Baby Spinach
• 250g Broccoli florets (cooked)
• 120g Red Onion diced
• 200g Red Capsicum diced
• 500g Chicken MBC 2pkts
• 150g Seed Mix (sunflower, pumpkin, linseed and sesame)
• Coconut Cream 300ml
• Lemon Juice Fresh 1 Tbsps.
• Coriander chopped 1 tsp
• Sugar 1 tsp
• Salt and pepper
1.Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl and place in the fridge for later.
2.Cook rice as per packet instructions and set aside.
3.Layer all ingredients in a glass bowl in the order listed refrigerate till ready to serve top with dressing and sprinkle with seeds.