Coq Au Vin
- 1 pk Mt Barker free range chicken marylands
- 25g Butter
- 150g Shallots – sliced
- 4 Cloves of garlic – crushed
- 150g Diced pancetta
- 1 tbsp Fresh thyme – chopped
- 1 tbsp Parsley – chopped
- 350g Button mushrooms
- 500ml Red wine
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a cast iron skillet or heavy based pan on your stove, on medium-high heat.
- Place chicken marylands in, and brown them off to seal in the moisture. Set aside.
- In the same pan, reduce heat to medium-low and add your butter, shallots, garlic, and panchetta. Fry them off for a few minutes then add the mushrooms in.
- Once your mushrooms are soft and brown, add your chicken back to the pan along with all the other ingredients. Bring up to a boil, then reduce to a steady simmer.
- If you would prefer your sauce to be reduced further, remove the chicken from the pan and place somewhere warm while you continue to simmer and reduce your sauce to desired consistency.
- Season to taste and serve with warm crusty bread and vegetables of your choice.